Wednesday, November 13, 2013

That Star



O.K., I'll explain the photo right away. I was just playing around with my photo software and decided it would be fun to do a Polaroid style. I won't be doing many of these but it made me happy to do one. :-)

I have received this wonderful image from stiz2003 on Splitcoaststampers and was really wanting to use it. She sent it so that I could re-size if I wanted. She said it is an Impression Obsession stamp. I decided I would loosely case her card shown here. She does the most beautiful work and I think she loves snowmen as almost as much as I do.

I did re-size the image, colored, masked off and did some sponging, leaving it so it looked as if the star was shining down.. I then added my trees. The star is punched and I added falling snow.  My recipe is below.

My card is entered into the Jingle Belles challenge where they want cards based on favorite holiday traditions. When our children were young, on Christmas Eve night my husband always read Luke Chapter 2 about the birth of Jesus. It was a special time for our family. In that chapter,  it says there were shepherds watching their flock by night and the glory of the Lord shone about them. I think that is the light I made in my card. My snowman is seeing that same wondrous light.

I want to enter the Holly Jolly Christmas Challenge where they want to see trees on your card.

I will enter another card into the challenge at Korttikarkuri-Let's Get Inky-Stamp a happy Christmas

The Splitcoaststampers Fan Club Monthly Theme Christmas challenge for October was an inspiration photo that included trees so I entered there.

Recipe:
Stamps-Hot off the Press/Christmas Words set, image from stiz2003 (IO), Mark's Finest Papers and Stamps/Scenic Selections (trees)
Paper-PTI white cardstock, Stampin'Up! Night of Navy cardstock
Ink-Memento Night of Navy and Gray Flannel
Accessories-Winsor & Newton Chinese white watercolor paint (for falling snow), Copics, Tim Holtz ink blending tool, EK Success edger punch/starry sky (for star)


33 comments:

Basslady said...

what a super-cute card, hun!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi xoxo

Cathy said...

Oh my gosh Benzi, that is an adorable image! I love the colors!

Desire Fourie said...

Such a cute card. Love the pop of colour against the monochromatic design.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Carla S. said...

Beautiful card, Brenda! Wonderful winter scene! The polaroid effect is pretty cool!

Carmen S. said...

Ich sehe, das Du die Schneemänner liebst Benzi. Das ist ein ganz besonders schönes Bild. Die Farben sind so herrlich gefärbt.
Ich habe mich in diese Karte verliebt. Wunderwunderschön!!!!!
Über Diese herrliche Karte würde ich mich auch freuen.
Die Karte wie ein Polaroit Foto aussehen zu lassen war eine sehr gute Idee.

Liebe Grüße, Carmen

Carol L said...

This is absolutely the cutest snowman image I have EVER seen! Your card is fantastic, and I'm just grinning from ear to ear!!! Adorbs!!!

Marisa said...

Love this card :) Your scene is fabulous and love the snowy feel. Such an adorable snowman image!!

Donna Hanley said...

This is adorable and you did an outstanding job with your sponging and tree placement. It does look exactly like the star is shinning down on that precious snowman. Enjoy your day.

jimlynn said...

I really like the Polaroid frame and the sponging on this is absolute perfection!! What a wonderful snowy winter scene with that adorable snowman and star! Love it!!
Lynn

Bonnie said...

What a darling image! I love the colors you used for his hat and scarf and the wonderful glow you created in the sky! The black card really frames it all beautifully!

Nonni said...

That's such a cute scene! I love that snowman, your inked sky and your beautiful final touches. Thanks for joining my Christmas stamping challenge!

Emily Keaton said...

That little snowman gazing up at the starry sky is just adorable, Benzi! And aren't you fancy doing a Polaroid style photo! I just love this :-)

Beebeebabs said...

Such a cute cute card - love everything about it great job tfs!!!

UTs Hobby Time said...

Super cute card Benzi. Very elegant!

Loll said...

Sweet!! Love this image Benzi ... and I love how you've created your wintery scene!

How nice of Nancy to send you the image ... aren't stampers the best??!! Loll xx

~Tammy~ said...

This is precious!

stampingbowd said...

wow! That really is a fun look you created with your photo software! The card is gorgeous!!!! I just love that snowman looking straight up!!! Love how you left a clear path of light from the star! Beautiful coloring, gorgeous card!

sandie said...

What wonderful sponging, it really does look like the star is shining light down. Thanks for joining us at Nonni's Xmas challenge

Sue said...

This is wonderful what a stunning image its so cute huggles Sue xxx

Ellen Taylor said...

Super cute snowman Benz! Great job masking to show the shining star! When I grow up I want to learn to edit software like you! Have a fantastic day my friend!
Hugs
Ellen

NanaConnie said...

Stunning, Benzi! Your sponging is magnificent and I rather like the "Polaroid" photography. You know I adore snowmen, too, and would use them all year if I could. This one is so wonderful. Love the way he's looking at the star. :-D

Maria said...

Awwww...how adorable! I do love snowmen, too! I can hardly wait to get out my snowman collection for Christmas! The snowman on your card looking up at the star is just precious...love it! Fab background and coloring...great job!:-)

MaryH said...

This is just beautiful. I looked at the CASE card and it's lovely too. I was very interested to read about the stamping, scanning, resizing. Hmmmm...brand new techniques to try. I find that copics sometimes smear or smudge on the printed images. Did you seal the print before you started working? I'm guessing you used photoshop? This card is just wonderful, and that light shining down...awesome. We did the story in Luke as well, for our dtr when she was very young - as did my parents for me. That is a memory we all treasure. Helps remind us of what we are truly celebrating...not just the material things, but the Greatest Gift of all. You did a super job on this one, very inspiring. Way to go, Girl! TFS & Hugs

SmilynStef said...

What a lovely card ... the sponging gives it such an ethereal feel ... so very glad you shared your holiday traditions with us at jingle belles.

Davi said...

I love your beautiful card Brenda!! The way you did the coloring and the light is really very beautiful with the sweet little snowman! We also read the story of Christs birth to my girls also. We continue to read it ourselves. Great reminder of the real reason for Christmas :)

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Such a wonderful card, Brenda! I love how you highlighted the snowman's face with your sponging!

Lynne in NI said...

Eeek, that has to be the cutest snowman ever! What a fab job with your snowy background and light from your star. LOVE IT!

lauren bergold said...

what a beautiful holiday card, i *LOVE* the stamp, and of course you coloring is gorgeous! thanks for sharing your favorite holiday tradition with us at JINGLE BELLES! :)

nwilliams6 said...

This is gorgeous! I love that sky - wow!!!! This is definitely going in my faves! It is soooo adorable. Hugz!

Electra said...

This is wonderful. I love how you have shaded the sky!

Meighan Wheller said...

Oh what a beautiful card Benzi. Love this scene and the way you have created the star light over the snowman. Lovely work. Thanks for sharing with us at Holly Jolly this week. All the best Meighan DT

Carol Hurlock said...

This is just precious. I know I commented on this as SCS, but it is so darn sweet it deserves another look!
Bear Hugs,
Carol

Joanne (jojot) said...

your bkgd is so gorgeous on this snowman card....has a dreamy quality