Monday, July 23, 2012

FOSTV-Joy fold


Hope you all had a restful weekend, got rain if needed, and temperatures dropped where it is so hot. We have thunderstorms just about every day..sometimes a good rain and other times, just a few sprinkles. Bad news! The parents of my DIL had their house burn from lightning last week. It was a severe lightning storm and they arrived home, opened the garage door and smoke was pouring out. It's a total loss. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to lose so many possessions and many memories. As we all know,  some things just can't be covered by insurance. They had just been through tornado weather and had terrible damage from a hailstorm in April. But, they're being very strong and I think they will make it through the rebuilding just fine.

Today's Friends of Speedy TV challenge #30 is to make a joy fold card. I believe this is the first one I've made. I decided to do a square fold and I found it to be a lot of fun. When you raise the pine cone square, there is a place for writing a note. I stamped the cones, cut them out, and placed them in the lower corner of the writing area. The sentiment tab holds the card closed.

I'm using stamp sets from Mark's Finest Papers and Stamps, A Heinrich Co. The sets are Greetings of the Season Mini Stamp Set and Christmas Wreath Mini Stamp Set for the sentiment.


 Anne Harmon from Home of SpeedyTV has instructions for making this card in the tutorial section or you can find it here on SCS.

Hope you will come along and join us this week at Friends of Speedy TV (FOSTV) for the challenge. This is the stamp set being given away this week.




I'm entering these challenges: Speedy Fox and Friends challenge #117-Christmas in July Cards
Addicted to Stamps challenge #35-Christmas in July
Lollipop Crafts-#84-Christmas in July
Paper Play Challenges-#29-Christmas in July

Recipe:
Stamps-MFP-Greetings of the Season Mini and Christmas Wreath Mini
Paper-Designer paper is Fancy Pants Designs/Yule Tide Greeting/Christmas Magic-dbl sided
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa
Accessories-Martha Stewart Frosty Village edge punch, Stampin'Up! Dazzling Diamonds, Spellbinders Poseabilities/Flower Creations


21 comments:

Hussena said...

Your card is just beautiful i love this fold and the lovely PP's you have used!!
Just wanted to say that I am so sorry to hear about your DIL parents can't imagine how bad it must be for them...hope they reconstruction work is done soon though !!!

Kate said...

Simply gorgeous! Great choice of papers.

stampingbowd said...

This is so pretty!!! I love your border!! How cute!!!!

Davi said...

Brenda LOVE this gorgeous card!! The pretty papers and that fun punched border are perfect and you did one fab job coloring those pine cones!! So sorry to hear about your DILs parents house. You are right its those treasured memory things that really hurt to lose.

Carol L said...

This is fantastic! I just love how you put this whole thing together, including that adorable punched border! Such a great card!
I'm glad you're DIL's parents are facing their loss with such strength and courage! Like the song says "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and that certainly seems to be the truth! I wish them well.

Marisa said...

Love the papers you used and the cute border punch. Fabulous Christmas card :) So sorry to hear about your DIL's parents...sounds like they have been through a lot lately. Just glad to know they are safe!

Ravengirl said...

Gorgeous work Brenda! I love the great die cut shape you used for your sentiment and closure!

nwilliams6 said...

I like this one, I am going to have to try it. Fun details, pretty paper, and amazing fold. So sorry to hear about your DIL's family - what a horrible thing. Hugz!

Janine said...

Great first attempt - great any attempt. Sorry to hear about the lightning strike and fire.

Kathy Bradley said...

Benz,
Gorgeous and elegant Christmas card - I really like this version of the Joy Fold too - wonderful!

Bonnie said...

I'd never seen a joy fold card fold from the top and let me tell you, I LOVE it! Great choice of stamps, papers and border!

Winnie and Patty said...

Brenda--I love Joy-fold cards, and this one is no exception! BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Speedy Fox & Friends blog challenge.

Cyndi said...

Fabulous card! And love the card technique! Thanks for joining us at Lollipop Crafts for our July challenge!

Beebeebabs said...

How did I miss this beautiful card!!!

NanaConnie said...

I'm definitely going to check out that tutorial, Benzi. This is such a great example of that fancy fold! I love pine cone stamps of all sorts and yours is so beautifully colored. Love the distressed papers.

Colleen Dietrich said...

I am SO sorry to hear about the fire at your DIL's parent's house. How awful!

As for that rain, can you please send some here to NJ, minus the lightning?

Pam~ said...

Such tragic news! I remember hearing on the evening news about a house getting struck by lightning recently. I don't know if that was them or not but it was awful to hear that.

I like making joy folding cards ...fun... and I like the way yours opens. I've only made mine open from right to left. I must try your way. You are just giving me so much inspiration!

Nicole said...

Sweet card and lovely papers!! Thanks so much for joining us @ ATSC, Good luck and hope to see you next time. Hugs, Nicole

Lynne in NI said...

Ohhh that's just awful about your DIL's parents house, how frightening! And it's the wee things they'll miss most - a couple I know had a house fire recently and the thing they were most upset about was the loss of a Christening gown that had been passed down through generations.
Beautiful card BTW, I've never tried a joy fold card ... maybe someday I'll get round to trying all these new techniques that you make look so easy!

Ellen Taylor said...

I haven't done a joy fold car in forever! Love the papers and that punch border! Hope the sun is shining where you are!
hugs!

Joanne (jojot) said...

my heart goes out to your DIL's parents....what a terrible loss, but also a blessing that they are fine

wonderful holiday card and fab use of that fancy fold